Thursday, April 29, 2010

The year in music (so far)

Apparently the reason that there were so few good albums in 2009 is because everyone had a release planned for this year. We're not even halfway through 2010 and it's already been a Cthulhu-sized monster raping my bank account. Here are my favorite releases so far this year:


Vampire Weekend - Contra
Los Campesinos! - Romance is Boring
Fang Island - Fang Island
Gogol Bordello - Trans-Continental Hustle
Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt
MC Chris - MC Chris Goes to Hell
Gorillaz - Plastic Island
Method Man, Ghostface Killa, and Raekwon - Wu-Massacre

I'm also leaving out awesome releases by favorites like Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, She & Him, MGMT, Flobots and MC Frontalot. And with new releases coming from both The Hold Steady, LCD Soundsystem and Broken Social Scene in the next couple weeks, there's no sign of relief coming for my wallet.

Some future releases that make me tingle in the gentlemen parts include Against Me!, Dead Weather, Sage Francis, Gaslight Anthem and the first full-length release of I Fight Dragons. I feel like the trend of the past few years has been lots of cool music from new indie acts, but so far 2010 has mostly been all about the return of some of old favorites.


Last year I struggled to put together a top 10 list for the year. This year I think it's going be difficult just narrowing it down to only 10 albums. 2009 left me mopey every time I turned on my iPod. In 2010, I'm now looking for second job to support CD habit. It's a good year to have hearing, my friends.

No comments: