Sunday, July 6, 2008

Home-town Hero Gone Sour

We're in Connecticut for the wedding of our dear friends Angie and John. The wedding was Saturday night in Mystic. We really had an amazing time. The food was good, the music was fantastic, and the company was second to none. I love my family, but I still stand behind the statement that our friends are the best friends in the world. More on the wedding later.

Of course no trip to CT would be complete without the obligatory visits to the parental units. So far most of our time has been spent with my father and step mother in Bridgeport, from where I'm writing this. We're going to New York tomorrow for a couple days and then we'll return and spend a few days with my mother. My mother still lives in West Haven, in the very house I grew up in. Being in West Haven fills me with anxiety. For some reason I am terrified to bump into people from high school. For the most part I don't really care for the majority of the folks in my graduating class, and with a couple of exceptions, I keep in touch with everyone I care to from West Haven.

So I am filled with dread and fear wherever we go. Every establishment I enter is a potentially awkward encounter with someone from my past life as a Connectican. I don't feel like chatting it up in an aisle at Walgreens feigning interest in how many kids you have now and how your husband/wife is serving in Iraq. I try not to make eye contact with anyone any where I go for fear they might recognize me and I'll be forced to converse with them.

But I'm a realist. I'm not really so conceited to believe that any of my classmates would want be compelled to stop and catch up with me. It's only happened to me a couple times in the handful of visits since I've abondoned the state. However this logic does not compute when I'm out and about. There are a couple folks that would actually make for some REALLY uncomfortable moments. Oh course my life wouldn't come to an end if I bumped into one of these people. I might have a momentary loss of control in my bowels, but after a shower and a quick stop at the laundry mat and I'll be as good as new.

Is it perhaps because I'm not pleased with the direction my life has gone? I have an amazing wife. I have a decent job. I live in a awesome city. However I still haven't completed college, I haven't published anything yet, I haven't had any screenplays made into films. Okay, so that last few are a bit much, but these are the things that go through my mind.

Whatever. People are out there. If I'm meant to bump into them I will. Some of them I will hate, others I will be excited to see, but most will make me flee the scene. The one thing they all have in common is that they all stay here when my vacation ends, and that's all that matters.

No comments: